Discover ZAO Organic Make-Up...
...a subtle blend of the ephemeral and the enduring.
At the heart of organic make-up is David Reccole, Founder of ZAO.
With over 10 years experience in organic cosmetics and vision to provide natural formulas enriched with active organic ingredients and sustainable packaging, ZAO was born.
Inspired by a natural gift received from a Taiwanese friend (a pen and pencil made in bamboo material), David was inspired to use Bamboo for organic make-up. The round shape of the Bamboo gift is the same as the make-up castings produced today. From this point, the brand was born using Bamboo both for casing and formulations.
Aside from its beauty, Bamboo is very specific for its high level of silica, essential for skin elasticity. The first brand with such a connection with packaging and ingredients.
For this brand, a short name was necessary, easy to be pronounced everywhere with a link to its own nature.
Among Asian philosophies, Zen Buddhism and Taoism both have a philosophy of respecting nature. Thus ZAO is a combination of Zen and Tao.
ZAO has developed 100% natural formulas enriched with active organic ingredients to enhance your skin's natural beauty. Certified organic by Ecocert, this brand is free from all toxic chemicals including parabens, instead using micronised silver as a preservative. Let yourself be seduced by luminous colours and textures combining comfort and long lasting hold. An innovative product presented in a modern and botanical material: bamboo.
Innovating and natural:
Because we are determined that an organic certified make-up line must use a natural packaging, we have chosen bamboo for its elegance and modernity. All trees are carbon storage but the exceptional growth speed of bamboo makes it a champion of carbon capture during its life cycle. Furthermore, it does not require pesticides for cultivation, making bamboo a true hero of ecological sustainability. Moreover it allows ZAO products to get a negative carbon footprint as a carbon storage material.
Research and ethic:
our laboratory has developed special formulas to respect your skin and the planet:
- with 100% of natural and certified organic ingredients
- all our powders are talc free and contain NO nanoparticles
- with no ingredients from petrochemical industry, even preservatives (paraben, phenoxyethanol, mineral oil, paraffin, polysorbate, EDTA, BHT, BHA etc)
- cruelty free makeup brand with no testing on animals (neither for ingredients nor finished products), as certified by Cruelty Free International.
- most products are vegan friendly, as labelled in the Range and Shop section of the website
- some products are gluten free, as labelled in the Range and Shop section of the website
Refillable and sustainable:
Thanks to an easy and inventive system, most of our products are refillable. You can free your creativity by trying our numerous colours in a playful and economical way. For more sustainability, bamboo items are encased in a classy pouch to protect the product packaging. Besides reducing of costs and packaging induced by our system, it also enables you to rotate shades very easily to match your seasonal desires. Nothing is easier! All you need is several refills to give free rein to your creativity!
with a desired to combine premium quality makeup with a luxurious and indulgent experience, we have chosen specific ingredients properties such as:
- remineralising: bamboo stem powder and its high silica level (75%) necessary for skin elasticity
- antibacterial : micro-silver as natural preservative for the product and antiseptic for the skin
- anti free radical : ginkgo biloba leaf extract, aloe vera, carnauba wax, pomegranate butter and shea butter are all efficient against free radicals thanks to their essential fatty acid content.